Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Week 19: "Yea, I know that I am nothing"

Hey Everyone!!

This week was a week of miracles. So prepare to have your minds exploded with awesomeness.

First, Brother H. So, last week, we set a soft baptismal date - namely, when you get your answer, will you be baptized? And eventually, he said yes. This week, he came to church, and this was the conversation after church:

Me: "So how was Church today?"

Brother H. : "Pretty good. The people are very friendly. There is a warm atmosphere at the church."

"Oh! That is awesome! Any questions or thoughts on the meetings today?"

"I guess I have one. How can I join your church?"

"Umm... (I almost literally asked him to say that again - it caught me a little off guard) that would be through baptism."

"Ah! I remember! We talked about that! So, when can I be baptized?"

And that lead into our lesson topic perfectly - the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Since then, I have heard him testify of the good feelings and peace that come from reading the Book of Mormon, and already heard him tell me about his experiences asking God for direction and help in his life. Certainly, this is one of those that was kept from the truth only because he knew not where to find it! It's crazy to me that we stopped this man on the street just a couple of weeks ago, and now he is just so excited about everything that has to do with the church!

Next, we met another investigator with a lot of potential! We were on our way to teach a bible class (we teach that weekly), and we didn't have too much time, so though both of us (I and my companion) felt that we should talk to him, we brushed it off, with the excuse that we were running late. We walked past him quickly on the way to the church, and he ran to catch up with us, and said "Hey! I keep seeing people like you around the streets! Could you tell me a little about your church?" We then gave him a quick church tour, and exchanged information so that we could meet again. I'm excited to see how it goes with Brother R! And if nothing else, it definitely renewed my conviction of talking to everyone!

Now, these two investigators are both looking pretty awesome, but the thing is, it never seems to be something that we do that works the magic. In Brother H.'s case, we weren't even smart enough to get contact information on the first contact. With Brother R., we didn't even open our mouths! As a companionship, we talk to SOO many people - but the contacts that seem to "go well" - when we can understand the Japanese, when we try to get contact information, or set return appointments, when we open our mouths, when we get a conversation going about the Gospel - have not yet been fruitful. Whenever an investigator has had the least bit of potential, our initial contact has always started with some sort of blunder, with my Japanese or otherwise. And it has made something very clear to me here - I am not the one doing the work. The Lord is. Certainly, I have to be trying my best, but without the Lord behind me, I could do nothing. I feel very much like Ammon when he said, "Yea, I know that I am nothing; as to my strength I am weak; therefore I will not boast of myself, but I will boast of my God, for in his strength I can do all things; yea, behold, many mighty miracles we have wrought in this land, for which we will praise his name forever." It is awing to think of the Eternal changes that we are seeing in people's lives, and humbling to realize how it is really done by the Lord!

So here is my challenge for the week. Put the Lord first. Rely on Him. Even if life is busy, or putting Him first is difficult, go to the temple; make time for scripture study; make time for prayer. You will be amazed at the blessings that flow as you strive to make time for Him first! He can do so much more with our lives than we can - I've seen it this week, as I've seen it many times before!

Stay AWESOME!!!

Hurrah for Israel!
Elder O'Reilly


My companion and I by the Christmas display by the temple.

Me, looking snazzy in the park near the temple!

Tokyo Temple!

Some weird fish thing we found today.



No comments:

Post a Comment