Wednesday, November 30, 2016

Week 73: Made Glorious

Hello Everyone!!

Well... This week flew by. Honestly, I sit down to write these, and it's always "was that really a week? I don't remember anything I did..." Yep. Never know what to write. Haha.

Anyways... We did have a few exchanges this week! Literally every other day. Splits on Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday. Great chance to learn from other missionaries (including the previous Zone Leader here), work with old friends (from Niigata), and learn from the assistants!

On Thursday, I had a particularly great day with Elder Manapori. It was snowing. I was tired. And it was cold. 4 appointments fell through. As I tried to pull out fliers, they stuck to my fingers, and got wet. People didn't want to talk too much. I focused much on myself, and how frustrating people were being for the first bit of the day, and I felt like what I was doing had little effect on the people we talked to.

As I was biking in the snow, I realized how lame I was being. Preaching a Gospel of happiness, and selfless service, and then going around as a grumpy man thinking about himself.

So, I applied some of the things I had been studying. As we had thanksgiving the day before, I had studied to teach the family who had us over for dinner. I had just read the following scripture (D&C 78)

17 Verily, verily, I say unto you, ye are little children, and ye have
not as yet understood how great blessings the Father hath in his own
hands and prepared for you;

18 And ye cannot bear all things now; nevertheless, be of good cheer,
for I will lead you along. The kingdom is yours and the blessings
thereof are yours, and the riches of eternity are yours.

19 And he who receiveth all things with thankfulness shall be made
glorious; and the things of this earth shall be added unto him, even
an hundred fold, yea, more.

No, we cannot bear all things now. I'm a child - I can't even handle a little snow. But, those who are grateful are made glorious.

Now, if you will realize that God's Glory has less to do with riches, and more with an Eternal life, joy, and feeling the Spirit, I think it will help in understanding this scripture.

So, I tried giving thanks.

I was on exchanges with a great Elder.
I was in Shibuya.
I have a family that loves me and supports me.
I have the Gospel, and a hope for something far greater than anything this world has to offer.
I have a Savior that suffered far more than I even can, let alone the small things that were in my current circumstance.

The list go on. In fact, I don't think I could count the number.

No, my circumstances didn't really change. From that point on, more cancels due to the snow, and it was still cold. But, I was overwhelmed with gratitude, I was filled with joy, and I wanted to share it.

Now, you probably know this, but people like talking with happy people. Sincere people. So, more people stopped. Not everyone listened for long, but many actually did, even in the snow. We even got a few numbers, and at the very least, everyone that we talked to got a good laugh and left with a smile. While I'm not sure how much we will be able to teach the Gospel to those we found yet, and it may take time before I really see the results, the effect for me was quite immediate and incredible. Turning outwards and upwards in gratitude is certainly the way to be made glorious!

Hurrah for Israel!
Elder O'Reilly

Elder Manapori taking a pic on my iPad during "iPad checks"

Went out to lunch with a return missionary (from Shibuya) and his friend
- someone I knew when I was back in Nakano! (Tech Staff)
We were on our way back from the temple today, so still in suits.

Christmas display at the Temple.

No comments:

Post a Comment