Tuesday, January 3, 2017

Week 78: Happy New Year!!!

Hello everyone!!!

This was a really weird week. It ended really strange. On New Year's Eve and New Year's Day, there was just no one on the streets. Except for a few drunk people. So that was fun.

But the beginning was really good!!! For example, we got to teach Bro. K. HE KNOWS THAT JOSEPH SMITH IS A PROPHET OF GOD!!! I told him the story, and then just felt that I should pause for a moment, and he said of his own accord that he felt it was true. WOOOHOOO!!!! Good moment. We were actually planning on teaching the plan of salvation, but that was WAY better than what we had planned. So we just went deep on the Book of Mormon and Joseph Smith. He just took it all in, said he REALLY wants to read the Book of Mormon and pray about it. He has some concerns with baptism (i.e. His wife isn't interested, and he was baptized before, but I m sure as he reads the Book of Mormon and his faith grows, all will be well. We meet again tomorrow.).

Then, we were able to meet with a good number of Less Actives and recent converts... Investigators were all out of town and such. Most people go back to their hometowns for New Years, and that isn't Shibuya for most people.

But, being New Years, a lot of people set resolutions. I think that most members set a resolution to work with us more, because I got five dinner appointments this week and didn't ask for any. That is definitely a first. Haha. Usually we get one if we ask to visit someone. Which is always just awkward. Hey, can we come share a message? And then they suddenly feel obliged to have dinner with you. This is definitely an improvement.

As for my goals, we will focus on getting more Mission School students. I haven't written about this before, but we have been doing it for a while. We teach English in a variety of ways, and then share a message. It focuses on youth, unlike our normal Eikaiwa. President Nagano wants us to have fifty students as a companionship by the end of the year. Currently, I have 1-3 depending on the week, so that will be a bit up there. It will take work. But statistically, so far, 1 in 13 or so get baptized, so when we get there, it will be an effective way to do the Lord's work. I prefer a more direct approach, but I will be striving to follow my leaders direction more this year.

I have seen many miracles come from following prophets and priesthood leaders in the past. I know this is the Lord's church, and he directs his leaders. So let's follow them so we can follow Him. I know that doing so will bring us closer to him. I know that from my experience following my leaders, and I know that from my experience as a leader. I know I have been imperfect, and I know I have even offended some missionaries on occasion, but I know that I have also been called of God, because of the love of God I feel for those I serve, and the inspiration I receive for them. Oft times, I get inspiration far beyond my own wisdom, or what I even could have known. I know that God loves each of His children and directs His work! May we always humbly follow Him, more fully giving our will to His!

Hurrah for Israel!
Elder O'Reilly

Had a mini mission with some youth.
This is the famous door size Book of Mormon!

Went to a shrine!

No comments:

Post a Comment